Tuesday, October 11

Grumble and Ye Shall Receive

The other day I was grumbling over the fact that I had ordered an Esso Speedpass and it hadn't arrived yet. And behold! Today it came. Now I can fill up at Esso stations and get 5x the Aeroplan points.

Have I mentioned that Aeroplan points are my new obsession? A few months ago I received an offer from my credit card company that I couldn't refuse; one aeroplan point for every $2 I spend using the card. My heart skipped a beat and my mind soared - I could go to Europe! I could go to Africa! I looked up how many points I need to get to said places - 60,000 points, at least. A quick calculation, and...wow. That meant I'd have to spend $120,000 on my credit card to accumulate enough points to go. Knowing that it could be many years before an amount of money that large had flowed through my credit card, I decided to be a little more proactive in my search for Aeroplan points. I discovered that Esso gas stations accept aeroplan cards, and that I get one point for every $3 spent there. Things were looking up. I then realized that if I filled up at Esso, credited my aeroplan card, and paid with my credit card, I'd get...a whole bunch more points.

That's when I discovered speedpass, and its wonderful ability to combine both my credit card and my aeroplan collector card together into one beautiful microchip. I can now wave this wonderful microchip in front of a gas pump and presto! I can buy gas and put myself further into debt (Note to self: mustn't forget to pay off the credit card, not just charge to it!). Nevermind that I never leave the house without my wallet, which holds both my credit card and my aeroplan card. Nevermind that it would be just as easy to use the card as it would be to wave some magic microchip wand. Nevermind that it would be tremendously easy to lose the speedpass, along with my keys...nevermind all that; I'm going to Europe, dammit.

-M.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home