Tuesday, January 24

Politics make strange bedfellows

I'm watching Stephen Harper on CBC right now, and I'm thinking about what a strange campaign this has been. Even more strange are the results, and stranger still are their effect on me. I've found it really hard to pray for this campaign, and until now I didn't really understand why. I knew what I wanted wasn't good for Canada, but I also knew that what a great many of my Christian friends wanted could have equally as devastating results. Whenever I tried to pray, I had no words to say to the Father regarding this. The only words I could seem to pray were, "Your will be done Father; pour out your Spirit on those elected, bless them, and lead them."

Yet tonight, I feel peaceful. Surprised? I'm actually hopeful for the first time in a while, and a few times tonight I've been close to tears. A reason for this is that in my mind and in my discussions I have often vilified Stephen Harper. Yet, most of my information on him came from secondary sources. I have never researched the man himself, nor been willing to truly listen to those who supported him. I guess I have been blinded by my prejudices. In this campaign I have been impressed with his willingness to adapt (something I have doubted in his character during my brief observances), and his willigness to be Prime Minister-like. His slam ads have been fact-based (not scare-tactics), he has made a lot of grandiose promises, but also some really practical ones, and he seems like he's actually willing to listen to Canadians (at least more than his Prime Ministerial predecessors). However, my changed opinion of him was solidified when I saw Preston Manning in the crowd, cheering him on. Manning is a politician and person that I respect a great deal, and there has never been any love lost between Manning and Harper. To see him up there cheering Stephen on shows me that Manning has given him his blessing, and that is very heartening to me.

But I entitled this post "Politics Make Strange Bedfellows" for a reason, so let's recap the situation as of this moment. I realize that not all ridings are official, especially some key ones (Pierre Pettigrew, I'm looking at you), but given the way things are right now, let's have a look at what's in store. Let's put it in a simple mathematical formula, purely for entertainment's sake:

Conservatives + NDP = 153. Two seats shy of a majority.
Liberals + Bloc = 154. A majority, since the Conservatives have to nominate the Speaker of the House from their party (giving them 123 seats, not 124).
Conservatives + Bloc = 175. Laughable. But conceivable.
Conservatives + NDP + Independant = 154. Still not enough for a majority.
Liberals + NDP = 132. Not enough to defeat a Bloc-Conservative alliance, but still formidable. Able to defeat the Conservatives alone.

Yes folks, it will be a very strange upcoming year, and as a Poli Sci major and avowed political junkie, I'm really looking forward to it. Please remember to pray for our government, regardless of your political affiliations. Our national leaders need all of us praying for God's Spirit to guide them.

In parting, here are some random thoughts:

Martin will not stay on as the Liberal leader. This is probably for the best. Too bad Peter MacKay won't ever jump ship.

Conservatives sweep Alberta. "The West Wants In," indeed.

Tina Keeper is a Liberal opposition member? Who's next? Michael J. Fox?

John Manly got chubby. If the Fugly girls were Canadian political pundits (which is a wonderful thought), they would be all over this celebrity bloat watch like a soup sandwich. John - you're a handsome man, and you have great diplomat potential. Don't waste your potential on cheetoes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Queen of West Procrastination said...

And this is why I miss watching politics with you, Meggy. I love that you, Chris and I all went to Peter McKay references.

And don't waste your potential on Cheetos? So good.

January 24, 2006 11:58 a.m.  
Blogger EternaLee said...

Yes, it'll be interesting. Harper, a policy-driven campaigner, will put forward policy-driven government and make the thing work. The Liberals will rebuild, and so long as Andy Scott, Scott Brison, or Belinda Stronach (B.S.) don't lead, it'll be alright.

It's a new and good day for Canada.

January 24, 2006 6:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home